Friday, December 11, 2009

Self-Potrait


In my self-portrait, I wanted to portray an interesting viewpoint with my use of mirrors and focus on the unique shadow created on my hair. I used Botticelli as a mentor for drawing each individual curl in my hair. I created these shadows by finding the lights and darks cast from the light on my hair. I chose to do a straight on composition, with a mirror covering half of my face because I found it extremely unique and unusual. It draws your attention to the main focus of my drawing - my hair and face. The mood I am evoking is very calm and serene. You can see this face being repeated over and over again in the the mirror held over my face. The light being cast on my face is creating sharp shadows on my face. I created a 3D form by drawing the shadows on the face, rather than the features themselves. Instead of making a background, I chose to keep the background plain to make the focus on the most important parts of the drawing. This simplicity reinforces my style. The biggest risk I took in my portrait was attempting to draw hair that looked realistic and similar to my own. I think I was successful in accomplishing this goal.

4 comments:

  1. Great picture but i want you to be more specific in answering your questions. You say there were risks. Exactly what what were they?
    Just how dos this pos say you are unique? You don't really tell us anything. Is that what you are trying to say. Remeber, artists can choose to reveal orconceal. What do you want to do? Great drawing. I enjoy the illusion. Why not mention Botticelli? An "Artist's Statement" needs to be more thorough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This definitely looks like you! Your artist statement is very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how things get less specific and detailed in the mirror. I do think that you made your face a little wider than it normally is but the fact that the mirror is in front of it hides that quite nicley. The craziness of your hair really lets the people know that it's you. I think youdid reall well, but the face shape is th only thing that you might want to think about changing in your next portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. much better description of your picture. I get a stronger sense of self in this new description.It really states "this is who I am" this is a quality portfolio piece and worhy of a future AP portfolio.

    ReplyDelete